To provide an integrated solution in an industrial environment by replacing the highly expensive Siemens and Allen Bradley HMI’s and PLC’s with a specifically tailored HMI for the bottling plant.
Develop and engineer a cost-effective HMI panel to help the operator achieve higher levels of efficiency and increased performance by strategically placing HMI consoles on the floor where the operators can control and access the processes without having to walk to the control room.
Results of Implementation
The HMI workstations were tailored to their specific processes and needs and resulted in a greater level of plant automation.
The team has managed to integrate all the information on the condition of the bottling plant into the plant control system.
- SAB made contact with Brandwagon and elaborated on some of their HMI workstation needs.
- The Brandwagon team realised a viable opportunity and setup a site visit at the Rosslyn plant. We met with the systems manager and his team to understand their requirements and took the opportunity to demo some of our state-of-the-art hardware components.
- We did a thorough examination of the environment and positioning of their machinery on-site and received the initial scope on what was expected.
- SAB required a custom-tailored HMI workstation and expressed their
willingness to partner up with Brandwagon to start developing their own
Digisign HMI Console.
- We incorporated all the components into a proposal with our concept drawings at our second meeting with the team.
- We also submitted the first components costing breakdown and got
confirmation to commence with the proof of concept.
- Mid-September we discussed the design of the sheet metal enclosure with 2mm high-quality stainless steel 316 as the industry standard.
- We briefed our draughtsman to start with the technical drawings and submitted the first drawings to the team for review.
Example of one our first concept drawings
- The drawings went back and forth with small changes made to ensure that the prototype will be safe to implement on one of the bottling lines. During October the first unit was signed off by SAB and in placed into production.
- During the stainless steel fabrication, we delivered some of the hardware components to SAB for testing. This would ensure that the software will run seamlessly.
- The fabrication of the steelwork was completed and some of the hardware components passed the tests successfully.
- SAB made provisions for a square tubing post for mounting and pulled
network and power cables to the point of installation.
January - February 2019
- SAB informed us that they are in the process of getting the point of installation ready.
- Brandwagon staff did the safety induction, method statement and risk assessment.
- SAB planned for the electrical and network contractors to be present for installation and the team came together on the 27th of February 2019 to install the first prototype on line 6 filler.
- The prototype was successfully installed and tested until May 2019. It worked well but there were a few design changes on the stainless steel enclosure such as removing the ventilation slots and the HMI front to open upwards with a locking hinge to ensure safe inspection or maintenance of the HMI.
June, July and August 2019
- We went back to the drawing board to implement the design changes. Changes were made and we brought in a versatile back plate for different mounting options:
- The final technical drawings of the HMI Console were submitted to the team and signed off for fabrication & production.
- Our vendor registration was completed; we submitted our final quotation and a PO were raised for the first IP65 19 inch HMI Keyboard Console to be installed on line 5.
- By end of October 2019 fabrication of the Stainless steel 316 Console was complete and Brandwagon moved on to assembly, testing and packaging. On the 25th of October we delivered the first ordered unit to SAB Rosslyn.
Conclusion & Thanks
- Brandwagon Distribution appreciates the opportunity to have walked the road with the SAB Rosslyn team from August 2018 to October 2019 through the process of proof of concept up to the approval of the Brandwagon HMI
- Workstation as a standard. We are one of the first companies to develop a customised solution for SAB and successfully implemented it.
- To date, we have delivered multiple HMI workstations to SAB Rosslyn